One of the best ways to embrace your natural texture? Getting a cut that’s specifically designed to enhance it. Haircuts for curly hair aren’t the same as your typical chop. Most curly haircuts require special techniques that consider the tightness of your texture, your hair’s natural thickness, and of course shape.
Today, we’re breaking down a few of our favorite curly hairstyles - including haircuts for volume and short curly hairstyle ideas too. Read on to see some of our favorites.
How to prep your curls for styling
Before settling on a style, it’s important to prep your curls to get the best results. And that prep starts in the shower, with a little help from our Curl Wow range!
- Begin by cleansing your hair with Hooked, our 100% clean, sulfate-free shampoo tailored for curly hair types.
- Follow up with Coco-Motion Conditioner, which helps to lubricate the protein chains inside dehydrated curls to bring back bounce, elasticity and fluid motion.
- After rinsing, apply Flo-etry to wet hair, using your fingers or a comb to distribute evenly, throughout lengths.
By investing time in prepping your curly locks, you lay the foundation for a successful styling session, ensuring your curls remain vibrant and bouncy throughout the day.
Read on for 3 of our favorite curly hairstyle types.
1. Curly Haircuts for Volume
One of the keys to a killer curly haircut? Serious volume. Stylists achieve maximum curly volume when they create multiple layers within a cut.
We love @toni_macaroni’s layered cut, which features curly bangs that blend into the cut’s other layers. The shape makes her curls seem super light.
Want to maintain length but still have volume? No one rocks this better than Lynn Kate. Her multi-layer cut never fails to Wow.
A big bonus with this cut is that it isn’t cut to a specific direction or part, which means Lynn can change up her style freely. Each day she can customize where to place her part.
Another key to creating volume? Using products that won’t weigh curls down.
Dream Coat for Curly Hair is our absolute fave - since it adds moisture and shine without weighing curls down. To use Dream Coat for Curly Hair, start with wet hair and saturate with product, then diffuse with your hair flipped upside down for maximum volume.
Want to see Dream Coat for Curly Hair in action? Check out this video of Lynn Kate!
2. Short Haircuts for Curly Hair
Thought the lob was just for straight-haired girls? You’re wrong. This short curly haircut proves that the bob can work on any texture. One of the best ways to balance out short curly hair and avoid the dreaded triangle is to ask your stylist for a more rounded shape. We love the curly haircut that @curly.les and @rose_bertram are rocking.
3. Curly Haircuts with Bangs
A common curly misconception? That bangs just won’t work. But with the right stylist, a curly haircut can feature fringe. Some things to consider:
- Your face shape: Oval faces can sport any bang style (front bangs, side bangs, you name it!), but faces that are round or more heart-shaped should opt for a side swept bang.
- The thickness of your hair: If you have thick, dense hair you can sport a heavy curly bang with no problem, but if your hair is thinner, you’ll want to go for a look that’s on the piece-y side (i.e. a bang that looks less dense and allows for gaps between curls). Why? If you try to force a heavy bang on thin curls, you’ll end up taking so much hair forward that you’ll sacrifice volume for your overall style. Your whole cut could wind up looking thin and flat.
Check out some of our favorite curly haircuts that feature bangs:
We love this gorgeous side curly bang on @justlikejackies styled by @torrensalicia.
Want to see a heavy, front-facing curly bang? Look no further than @Wandaanicole.
For a piece-y looking front-facing curly bang, check out @raerodriguez.
There you have it! A few different curly hairstyle ideas to inspire your next look. If you’ve already got the haircut down and are looking for advice on how to style your locks, check out our guide to styling curly hair.
Read more about embracing your curls on the Color Wow Blog: